Supplied by an old man living in Ripon all his life who couldn’t get this old fashioned recipe from anywhere so asked Coco Vanilla to make it for him.
12oz fresh white breadcrumbs
3/4 pint milk, whole milk is better
1lb raisins, sultanas or any dry fruit you like
4oz veg suet, or butter if you prefer
6oz Demerara sugar
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Caster sugar to dust
- Mix everything except the caster sugar together in a bowl
- Pour in a lined 2lb tin
- Bake at 150 for about an hour to an hour and a half till firm to the touch
- Sprinkle generously with caster sugar and cool in the tin
- Turn out and slice into pieces.
- Make a large pot of tea and enjoy.